How To Paint Interior Doors Black & Update Brass Hardware

Fall is just around the corner, and for some, that can mean not only a change of season, but also wanting a change of scenery in the home. One way to create an updated look in a home is by painting your doors classic black. It's no secret: I love black! I love to wear black, my office used to be black, and when we lived in our Florida town home in 2010, I first started experimenting with painting doors black (read my post here). Although that first door was only the interior of the front door (because of HOA), I instantly fell in love with the transformation the black door gave to a builder basic white door. When we moved to Phoenix, and found a house to rent, I applied my love for black doors to our kitchen dining area, to help update the space + create more harmony in our rental home. Having white doors in an area with cherry kitchen cabinets, charcoal walls, and black appliances was just going to be too choppy (read more in my post: renters painting tips). Although I really wanted to, I refrained from painting all of those doors black, since we were renting. Fast forward to the home we bought November 2014, and one of the first tasks I did before the movers arrived was to paint all of the doors black - and wow, what a difference it made!


Satin black doors, satin brass hardware, updated light fixture, a runner, and a small entry vignette all ways to update a builder basic entry...

 Builder basic blah before...



Painting white doors black can become a tedious (and boring) project, but it helps to break it down to smaller paint projects - for example, paint doors black by 'line-of-sight' sections. This way, if you get side tracked by another task, you won't have one white door next to a black door in the same room. It also helps to focus on painting the door fronts first, and come back at another time to do the inside, because you may want to keep the backside white (for example for a pantry, powder room, or a small closet).



I did this, and I think this Fall, I'll go ahead and paint the backsides black (living in a space does that!). As for the door moldings, I'm contemplating whether or not to paint the white door casework black (or grey in the master) like the dark doors as well. I do though like the way the white relates to the baseboard and crown molding. Another option to consider with painting base & crown moldings is painting them the same color as the walls - but gloss. Chances are though, the next buyer here will prefer the white moldings too.

The one door in the house I did not paint black was the french door coming from the living room, opening to the backyard deck. All of our window mullions are white, and since I treated this door as a window - to give the fireplace symmetry, I framed it with window panels - I kept this door white. I love my black, but I'm not about to start painting all the white mullions black. Although I love that look too - the next person who lives here may not. This area is relatively conservative. And if they do, that leaves a project for them to personalize their space with.



  
When we changed the exterior door locks, we went ahead and purchased a more updated (transitional style) exterior door handle in an antique brass.


Also when we moved, I renewed our faded black exterior front door in an exterior black satin. Inside, I went ahead and painted the front door a satin black as well (along with the stairway railing & newel post!), but I think for Fall, I'm going to refresh the door - inside & out with a gloss black. Inside, the black gloss will help reflect more light in a small space, and outside, it will give a more sophisticated curb appeal.


Walls - Behr Porpoise (eggshell) - Trim semi-gloss white - Time to paint the doors black!

Black door painting - tape off hinges, and if you're keeping the hardware, you can just cover with foil if you'd rather not remove (but it's much easier to paint removing door handles!!) 

Painting Black Doors
Before - During - After

This house was built in 2005, so it was already starting to feel a little dated with the builder grade white doors, especially paired with the yellow-base polished brass door knobs. In the Florida townhome, we had updated all of the door handles to nickel levers, but I knew I didn't want to go the silver route here - not to mention, changing door hardware can start to become expensive, especially when it's for 14 doors in a house. Since I was painting the doors black, I tried something with the existing brass hardware - and it worked!


 Brass:
Dated & Polished (left) - Updated & satin (right) 

Updating brass hardware - from dated yellow & polished to brushed & updated satin finish.
No paint - No chemicals. Just sandpaper!



By simply taking one of my (fine) sanding blocks (I've used for furniture refinishing), I was able to buff off the dated yellow shine from the existing door knobs, and created a more matte, brushed brass - satin finish. This not only saved us the expense of changing the hardware, it also helped to salvage the existing hardware -- without any chemicals or added expense (other than buying another sanding block for under $5!)

So as my husband patched and sanded wall holes + painted Kilz in all of the closets (good germ killer when you're first moving in!!), and the painter we hired was painting the common areas of the house (LR, DR, Kitchen, hallway, stairway, master bedroom and bathrooms), I started my black door painting, and brass hardware update, along with painting all of the door casing and baseboards a crisp white.



The brushed brass door hardware also worked with the master bedroom doors I opted not to paint black, but instead I painted a darker grey. Out master bedroom has three doors (plus a pair of 15-lite french doors we added) which with our existing black furniture would have been WAY too much black in one space. the darker grey I used for the bedroom doors, I also used when I painted the existing 2 old oak bathroom cabinets (I'll share more about in an upcoming post!)



 
 

The hallway upstairs has another six door, two of which are a pair of bifold doors for the laundry closet. All are painted black, and I continued doing the satin finish brass hardware upstairs, except for the laundry closet doors - They originally had plain painted wood knobs, I replaced with a antique pair I picked up on our trip to Atlanta earlier this year (great souvenir!) 




Doors are updated - now just need to update hall light fixtures & floor covering!


For previous black paint choices, I've just grabbed any pure black paint I could find - But this project was going to be pretty big (12+ doors!!). I wanted smooth, strong coverage, with easy clean-up at an affordable price, and Behr paints fit the bill (not only for the doors, but for painting our entire home!)




Interior black door paint - Black Suede - Satin finish
Exterior black door paint - Black Suede - Satin finish
Interior grey door paint (master bed & bath)- Behr Marquee - Magnet - Satin Finish
Sandpaper block grade - Fine 




Paint is not only an economical means of updating the look of a home on a small budget, but using black paint, on doors, helps to give an updated and sophisticated look to a home. Consider painting your doors black if you are:


- Looking to refresh your home before the holidays.
- Seeking a more updated look before selling your home.
- Relocating and want to remove the builder grade style of your new dwelling.

And to really take classic black doors up a notch, try a high gloss black for your front door, inside and out! (which is on my 'to-do' list for Fall!) Think of high gloss black as adding a black patent clutch or pumps to your LBD!  




Hope you are inspired!
Thanks for stopping by!



46 comments:

  1. LOVE your black doors! and yes....you have inspired me. Question: How long did it take you to paint all hose interior doors? I'm seeing it as a huge time commitment since I have tons of doors!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teri!!

      Yes - it is a huge commitment, and if I didn't have A.D.D., I probably could have finished faster! :)

      Although the Behr paint included a primer, I did need to give doors 2 coats - I painted the doors in 3's: Pantry double doors & basement one day, next day coat closet, powder room, and entry/front door -- The following week, upstairs, again in threes. Because it's black paint going on white doors, each door needed dry time (which was quick with Behr!) but still each needed two coats to give solid coverage - and they are still solid today: No scratches, easy to wipe clean, and no color fade on front door.

      I did the same process on the grey bedroom doors as well - except for the solid wood French doors we added: those got one coat tinted primer first, then one coat magnet (Marquee) Behr paint.

      All door trim & baseboards were done with Behr Semi-Gloss white.

      Lynda

      Delete
  2. They look perfect. Lynda I have a question the frames in the second pic from the bottom where can I purchase the same one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rose!!

      The ones I have are old store display frames I've had for a (long!!) while -- but I did a search, and found something similar online at pictureframes.com -- Classic Black Metal Floater Frame -- 15 x 15 -- http://www.pictureframes.com/Metal-Frames/Metal-Canvas-Floater-Frames/718BLK-black-metal-canvas-floater-frame -- Hope this helps!

      Lynda

      Delete
  3. Thanks Lynda for taking the time to do the search for me that was really nice of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love the photo progress and paints you used. Just amazing to see how white doors can look so dramatically different painted a darker color. I could not believe there were sheers on the little door windows...No Bueno!!! I also love the idea of sanding the brass knobs who knew ...I will be forwarding my cousin your post she purchased an older home with tons of brass knobs and dreaded purchasing new ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Monica!! Sorry for the delayed response - Hope all is well and you enjoy your holiday season!!

      Delete
  5. What grit sand paper did you use for the knobs? Im so impressed with your efforts to improve your living space with paint on the doors and walls and the idea for the knobs is blowing my mind right now. My home was built in 1996 and still has builder everything including polished brass knobs. Im talking 20 doors on 2 floors. Lots of money to switch those out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy! I used a sanding block with angled edges - I believe it was Fine (which is 220). Yes - switching out hardware can add up. Having some gold accents mixed into our decor helped relate the existing knobs. Check out the Habitat for Humanity ReStore or ebay for knobs too. (maybe mix glass in a hallway or bedroom). Hope this helps and happy to inspire :)

      Delete
  6. Love the black doors Lynda! For A long time I thought I was the only one who would use black as an inside color. I have painted the entire inside of a coat closet in the past. I loved it because it was like a little secret that would surprise my guests, always a fun conversation starter.

    Brandi Bradley @ Rotax Metals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandi! For over ten years, I had an all black office, with only the desk being wood + chrome. i heart black. great idea for the coat closet -- May have to do that after I paint the powder room -- black ;-) THX!! xo

      Delete
  7. Where did you buy the light fixture by the front door? It looks really good! Also, what kind of wood floors are those?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! It's the large orb light from World Market. I picked it up for $60 at a location near me that unfortunately closed. It WAS bronze, but I painted it matt (flat) black before hubs installed.

      Delete
  8. Great ideas for those doors and I want to try this myself now! I have worked with a locksmith before in the past to put brand new knobs on all of my doors and have found that it has helped to update the look of a room in no time at all. I've worked with experts just to save myself time.

    Earl Mark @ Eastway Lock

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks amazing with the brass hardware. I have never seen black doors that I was actually a fan of and you have now changed my opinion. With the brass hardware, there is a great rustic, almost British countryside look to it. And I love that you did it with the full house. I have seen some that are half-done.

    Giovanni @ Coastal Contract Hardware

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Giovanni! Takes a while to do entire house (if you have many doors) - usually two coats per door + cleaning prep & removing / reinstalling hardware -- but SO worth it! I did my doors in phases: about 3-4 doors a day until complete.

      Delete
  10. Awesome door designs used in interior designing,door hardware look's is very nice thanks for sharing.
    top interior designers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lynda! Just pinned your pic on pinterest! Wondering what color/kind of flooring you have?! is it a red laminate wood??
    Love it-So inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The floors were installed before we moved in - a brown-black espresso hardwood. Thank s for pinning!

      Delete
  12. I am painting my downstairs living room grey with an accent wall darker grey..I have one door on the accent wall and 4 on the light grey wall what color would you paint the doors? same as the wall they are on or reverse the colors? help plz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for the delayed response: Without seeing a photo, I'd suggest painting the accent wall door PLUS the door casing the same color as the accent wall -- and the other doors within the space, either the same treatment as accent wall door, unless the doors in your home are black, go black. I did a darker grey on our master bedroom doors vs. going black because many of the bedroom furniture pieces were black (it felt like it would be too much black)and it's worked great. I also used the master bedroom dark grey downstairs in the finished basement - since there is only one window within 3 divided spaces (again, black would have been too much) Basement walls are Simply White. Hop this helps :)

      Delete
  13. Love this idea! I'm painting the ceiling in our basement black suede in a flat finish to give it an industrial look. However I cannot decide on a color for the walls. Any suggestions???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Last year, we painted our finished basement Simply White (a warm white in an eggshell finish) and the basement doors the darker grey I used in Master Bedroom (doors + bathroom vanity). It's a good neutral for a (small) basement space, and would still compliment your industrial aesthetic.

      Delete
  14. Awesome Awesome Awesome.. I am a Locksmith in Charlotte NC and I am going to do this to my outdated wood stained 6 panel doors. What a difference it makes. I would have been scared to paint my door black but these pics make your place look so elegant.

    Thank you!
    Teddy @ A-Access Lock & Key

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't believe how much everything around the black doors just POPS! You have convinced me for sure! I saved this post for future reference. Thanks!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Do you think that it is okay to have just the inside front door black? I am buying a new front door- both sides black- but am not ready to change out the entire house!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have an older ranch style house. There are 4 doors in a area that is a hall between kitchen and living room. Would it be too much to paint all 4 black with white trim? The doors are pretty close together. Also color of wall paint in room with your gray doors?I just love your page!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing this interesting and informative article, painting with airless spray gun will be faster and more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi!

    I just bought a new home and want to paint all doors black as well! But I love the light grey color in the 2nd to last pic on your walls with the 3 doors. Could you please tell me what color that is?

    ReplyDelete
  20. I know this post is old but thank you for a fabulous post. I too have shiny gold hardware on every door in our 80's home. I LOVE antique unlaquered brass and NEVER thought to just sand the handles. I am so excited and cannot believe I never thought of this. Thanks girl!! Great tip.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Lynda....been a fan of yours for YEARS! Question....I am painting the exterior shutters and front door Behr Black Suede per your recommendation above. You mention painting the door, inside and out a high gloss. PLEASE let me know what you recommend for the shutters - a satin or gloss? THANK YOU so very much in advance!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for your post which is truly informative for us and we will surely keep visiting this website.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love your brass doorknob idea but did have a question. Without most of the lacquer has it caused the knobs to darken and develop a patina? I'm curious if this has happened yet or will in the future. Might there be a way to prevent the brass from aging like using lacquer again after sanding? We have a LOT of brass doorknobs and would love to save money and do this if they'll remain light in color. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thank you for sharing this interesting and informative article, painting with airless spray gun will be faster and more interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  25. THANK YOU so much for you before and after pics. My husband and I are currently in a debate about my desire to paint all the doors in my house dark grey... he says "it doesn't go with anything..." maybe this will help him see the beauty before I finish my project!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hmm it appears like your blog ate my first comment (it was super long) so I guess I'll just sum it up what I had written and say, I'm thoroughly enjoying your blog. I too am an aspiring blog blogger but I'm still new to everything. Do you have any tips for newbie blog writers? I'd definitely appreciate it. designer door handles

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you for sharing! This article is very informative and helpful. I hope other articles will be as good as this article.


    ReplyDelete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. The doors are popping that black colour and making a perfect match with the interiors. Beautifully done. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great post! I am actually getting ready to across this information, It's very helpful for this blog.Also great with all of the valuable information you have Keep up the good work you are doing well.

    http://toppainters.co.nz/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi can you tell me what are the paint colours used on the walls please.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Beautiful! Thank you for the inspo! About to paint my master bathroom closet, toilet room and french door black. Glad to know to use satin and that you like Behr Black Suede. Please keep your wonderful ideas coming!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails