A FRIDAY FIND!

I know I've shared this find on Facebook, but I don't think I ever shared over here on the blog. Back in June, during Father's Day Weekend, I made a REAL score. It was late in the afternoon, I think around 2ish, when I headed out to see what might be at a nearby Goodwill. When I walked in, I walked straight through to the back, where the furniture is... and while approaching the area, I had zoomed in - like a radar - onto this brown leather chair. When I got closer, I noticed it also had a coordinating ottoman. I sat in it and it was VERY comfortable. Then got up to inspect it - only finding one obvious flaw (on the arm). But I have already sourced a place here that could repair it, so I looked for the price - $23.99. I didn't have a coupon with me, but to my surprise, it was a 50% off day at Goodwill, so I got this puppy for only $12!!




I call it a Friday Find because after thrifting the other day with the girls, and finding that vintage ice bucket, I did a little research on the chair. I had a hunch it was vintage. It reminded me of the Eames Lounger, and it's pretty close.It is an Ekornes Stressless Lounger & Ottoman. Ekornes is from Norway, and was founded in 1934.


In 1966, Ekornes launched its first collection of lounge furniture. As the first furniture manufacturer in Norway, Ekornes distributed information about its products, entitled ‘Svaneinformasjon' (Svane News), to every household in the country. This first success has since been followed by the direct mailing of a new Ekornes catalog every year. For the first time, furniture was launched with a brand name. The Ekornes family acquired the public company Vik & Blindheim Møbelfabrikk AS, which became Svane Møbler AS.


In 1971, The first Ekornes Stressless chairs were launched on the Norwegian market. The success of Stressless lead to a major expansion and automation of the steel department. This expansion takes Stressless and Ekornes into the most expansive chapter of its history.



I found the same chair selling online from $600 to $1195 (at Retro Metro Furniture in California)!!! So with a little repair investment to the arm, and polish the chrome plus condition the leather, I'm going to see if I can sell it at one of the vintage shops I toured up in Scottsdale, like Phoenix Metro Retro or Modern Manor...


Vintage Chair & Ottoman at




The chair plus the George Briard ice bucket will make a wonderful addition to a Mid Century Modern vintage shop!


Georges Briard
Born in 1917 in the Ukraine - passed away in NYC in 2005
 He was an award winning designer in the 50s, 60s, and 70s who was most famous for dishware & glassware. His signature collection was stocked at high end retailers, such as Neiman Marcus and Bonwit Teller.



 In 2004, he was awarded the Frank S. Child Lifetime Achievement Award by The Society of Glass and Ceramic Decorators, in honor of his extraordinary contributions to the glass and ceramic decorating industry. He also designed pieces like this amazing bar cart I spotted on 1stDibs (and yes - pinned to m On Trend | Bar Carts board!)

Amazing how when looking for one thing, it can lead to another...

 
So now I need to work on cleaning up this find (the chair), 
and get some funds for another!It is in really good condition, and super comfortable!
The ice bucket is also in really good condition, I just need to polish the metal.



I really do enjoy thrifting - You never know what you're going to get!


Enjoy your weekend!
Thanks for stopping by!







3 comments:

  1. What a great find! It will look fabulous in your home!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow....Great thrift find for $12!!!!...plus I loved learning the history of the different items!!!
    Glad I stopped by....Happy Sunday from-
    Rene' @ BargainHoot

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that old Ekornes!! Doing a job for their new chair collection! Retroish. You will love them....Coming soon!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails