WINTRY BEDROOM DECOR: DASHING THROUGH THE THROWS

How do you dress your winter nest? Do you have a tree, lights, and decorations? Or do you have just subtle hints of the season to slumber in? I wasn't raised decorating the bedroom for Christmas... but somewhere along my life's path, I picked up the liking to it (must have been because of a Pottery Barn Catalog - right? lol). In my old apartment, I simply added green garland wrapped in lights framing the window. After our first year living here in our townhome (because it's our first home together), I probably went (overboard) all out. Although my style has changed over the past few years, I do still pile on the pillows, more layers, and add a pop of red at Christmas time.

2010

2009

2007

This year, I was actually inspired for the bedroom combination while I was setting the Thanksgiving table. I really liked the look of mixing the black & white plaids and paisley. I also utilized the two white urns from the dining room (previously located in the office) but added a few berry sprays to the branch and feather mix. The paisley pillows are covers I had used in the living room last Christmas (on the sofa) paired with green. The paisley window panels are actually tablecloths - I had used this past summer in the dining room. The glen plaid throw I picked up at Target and the sheets are RL from Homegoods. The red velvet pillow (cover) I had gotten about fur years ago at Restoration Hardware on clearance for $6 - and this is my first time using it (never could find just the right mix or spot for it). The throw was on sale for $15 and the sheet set was only $35, so the room transformation - mainly relocating items I already had - only cost $50.










The other subtle holiday hints are the berry sprays I used in two containers on either side of the room. I also weaved a few through a frosted wreath I had used in the dining room (on the buffet) last year. Again, I hung it on the mirror with a Command Performance hook. And since we have palm trees as our view out the window, I usually pull out my two wintery Ansel Adams prints, along with the horse drawn Central Park carriage prints.




Since I had removed the wedding pics from the stairway floating shelves, I made a small collection on the wall in our room. I mixed it also with an engagement photo, a photo from an anniversary and a mirror to reflect light from the window. You may also notice, this is where I "hid" some items I relocated from downstairs when editing for Christmas: the two thrifted directors chairs, the Barcelona chair, and the white small coffee table nested into the tables at the window - along with the buffet lamps I also brought up from the living room.










What projects did you work on over the weekend? Did you take a break, and just spend time with family and friends? Did you go to a holiday gathering or host one yourself? We had a few friends over Saturday night. We shared laughter & stories, while drinking wine and snacking on some light appetizers. It was a small group, but we hadn't been together in so many years (about five) so it was well spent quality time...

(L to R) Steve, me and Albert.

Hope to post more pics tomorrow!
Have a great week - Happy Monday!



Linking this post to:








5 comments:

  1. So inspiring, Lynda. Love all the subtle touches of winter--especially the horse and carriage in Central Park. Ansel Adams & the paisley are amazing together!
    Merry Christmas :)
    Sindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lynda the houndstooth throw is to die for, I love black,white w/ touches of red. You have an amazing eye and I love swooning over your work. Wishing you and yours a Happy Holiday down in Florida (which I hear you got some Jersey weather down there this year). Nothing like home!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melanie ~ Your comment made me SMILE!! Yes - Nothing like H O M E ... It's overcast & chilly this morning too... looks like it wants to S N O W ....

    Thanks for stopping by Sindy & Melanie!!
    MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

    :D Lynda

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think 2007 is still my favourite. I so love all that red!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lynda I love your blog - I found it via BNOTP but I think I've been following you on facebook for a long time before this. I love how you cleverly and carefully use black in your decor. I also love the contemporary vibe that your blog has. Too many of the design/decor blogs are cottagy which is cute but it can be overwhelming - I mean come on, can we use another color other than WHITE? So I found your blog so refreshing!

    I'm going to eagerly follow you and hope you will stop by my blog (not nearly as refined as yours) and consider following me back ;)

    Michelle Jamieson
    New England-Style

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails